You only want the best for your French Bulldog, and that includes their diet. Let’s take a look at the nutritional needs of Frenchies, what ingredients to look for and which ones to avoid, and what is the best food for a french bulldog.
What to Look for in the Best Dog Food for French Bulldogs
Before we discuss foods, let’s talk about what you should look for to find the best food for your Frenchie.
Nutritious Ingredients with No Fillers, Byproducts, or Artificial Additives
Every ingredient in your dog’s food should have a reason to be there. Animal by-products and corn, for example, have very little nutritional value and are added as cheap fillers to bulk up dog food.
Low or Moderate Fat and Calorie Content
Frenchies are prone to obesity, and they tend to have breathing problems that prevent them from being highly active. As a result, you should stick with foods that have low or moderate fat and calorie content.
Dogs don’t need carbohydrates in their diet. In fact, diets high in carbohydrates may contribute to obesity or diabetes. Dog food companies don’t list the carbohydrate percentage on the label, so you have to add up the other percentages and subtract that number from 100 to find out the carb content.
Lean Protein from High-Quality Animal Sources
Because French Bulldogs shouldn’t have too much fat in their diet, you should try to avoid fatty red meats in favor of leaner meats like poultry or fish.
Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics, Fatty Acids, and More
Every dog food is required to have a minimum amount of vitamins and minerals. However, you should also look for foods that contain probiotics for digestion, fatty acids for skin and coat health, and glucosamine and chondroitin to support your Frenchie’s joints.
The Best Dog Food for French Bulldogs
Dog food should be meat-based, and you get that with Wellness Core Grain-Free Reduced Fat. The first three ingredients are meat, so you aren’t filling up your Frenchie with a bunch of starch that could make them gassy.
- No corn, wheat, soy, meat by-products, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Taurine supports a healthy heart
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned turkey, turkey meal, chicken meal, potatoes, peas
Customer Reviews: As with any food, some dogs don’t like this one. There are also a handful of complaints about how much “dust” is at the bottom of each bag. However, most dogs love this food and lose weight once switching to it.
Final Verdict: This food may be a little too high in protein for some low-energy Frenchies. Other than that, it’s an excellent food most French Bulldogs will do well on.
If your French Bulldog struggles with dry or itchy skin, they may benefit from AvoDerm Natural Grain-Free Salmon & Vegetables Formula. AvoDerm includes avocadoes in all their recipes, which are high in essential fatty acids.
- Avocado and avocado oil help support the skin and coat from the inside out
- Rich in high-quality fats and oils with a balanced omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acid ratio
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Salmon (source of omega 3), herring meal, peas, pea flour, garbanzo beans
Customer Reviews: There are hardly any complaints about this food on Chewy’s website. One dog didn’t like the taste, and another was eating more of this food than their previous diet. Otherwise, dozens of dog owners reported that their pup loves and thrives on this food.
Final Verdict: This food is an excellent choice for Frenchies who have dry, itchy skin. Not all dogs will like the taste, but most do.
Small breeds have different nutritional requirements than large dogs, making Nutro Ultra Small Breed Weight Management ideal for French Bulldogs. It’s grain-inclusive and made with non-GMO ingredients and nutrients in proportions perfect for small dogs.
- 3 lean animal proteins from pasture-fed lamb, farm-raised chicken, and salmon provide amino acids that promote lean, strong muscles
- Premium natural diet made for small breeds with the right amount of fat, protein, and carbohydrates
- Made with non-GMO ingredients
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal (source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate), whole brown rice, rice bran
Customer Reviews: Some dogs didn’t like the taste, and a couple of owners reported that their dogs became gassy. Overall, though, most dogs love the taste and are doing well.
Final Verdict: If you’re looking for a grain-inclusive weight management formula for your French Bulldog, this is a great option.
If you’re looking for a grain-inclusive puppy formula for your French Bulldog, check out Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Small Breed Puppy Chicken & Oatmeal. It’s fortified with DHA and ARA for healthy eye and brain development as well as phosphorous, calcium, and essential vitamins for strong teeth and bones.
- DHA and ARA for healthy eye and brain development and high-quality protein for healthy muscle growth
- No wheat, corn, soy, or chicken (or poultry) by-product meals
- Calcium, phosphorus, and essential vitamins for strong teeth and bones
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, barley, menhaden fish meal (source of omega-3 fatty acids)
Customer Reviews: As with any food, some dogs get sick or don’t like the taste of this food. By and large, though, most dogs enjoy and do well on this one.
Final Verdict: For a grain-inclusive puppy food, this is one of the better options on the market, and most puppies thrive on it.
If your Frenchie is struggling with food allergies, Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Grain-Free could be a good option. The first ingredient is venison, a novel protein that is not a common allergen.
- Formulated with novel proteins including venison, lamb, egg, duck, and ocean fish
- Made with ingredients from trusted and sustainable sources with no corn, wheat, grain, filler, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Venison, lamb meal, garbanzo beans, peas, lentils
Customer Reviews: Some dogs didn’t like this flavor as much as other varieties, and some dogs had digestive upset. Most pups love this food and appreciate the small kibble size.
Final Verdict: This food is an excellent grain-free food with venison as the first ingredient and a small kibble size that’s ideal for Frenchies.
For those who want a grain-inclusive food that won’t pack on the pounds, there’s American Journey Healthy Weight Chicken & Brown Rice. It has glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and l-carnitine for lean muscle mass.
- Reduced calorie dog food to help dogs achieve a healthy weight
- Contains L-carnitine to support normal fat metabolism and lean muscle mass
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and mobility
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned chicken, chicken meal (a source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate), turkey meal, brown rice, rice bran
Customer Reviews: Some dogs didn’t like the taste, and a few owners reported that their dogs started shedding more. However, most dogs enjoy the food and lose weight on it.
Final Verdict: As long as your French Bulldog isn’t allergic to chicken or grains, they will likely do well on this food.
#7 – Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe with Real Duck & Freeze-Dried Raw Pieces Dry Dog Food
If you want to incorporate the health benefits of raw ingredients without the hassle, you should check out Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe. Each piece of kibble is coated in freeze-dried raw meat, and there are tasty pieces of freeze-dried duck mixed in, too.
- Boosted nutrition for small breed dogs with freeze-dried raw and high-protein kibble
- Guaranteed levels of calcium and phosphorous for healthy teeth and bones, plus glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Duck, duck meal (source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate), chicken meal, peas, tapioca
Customer Reviews: The occasional dog didn’t like this food, but most dogs go crazy for it, especially the pieces of freeze-dried meat.
Final Verdict: This food is a little high in protein, but most Frenchies will love the taste of this food.
When it comes to high-quality grain-inclusive diets, it’s hard to beat Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Small Breed Recipe. It features real deboned chicken as the first ingredient and contains brown rice, barley, and quinoa for carbohydrates.
- Real deboned chicken is the first ingredient
- Includes essential vitamins, minerals, brown rice, and ancient grains like quinoa
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, barley, turkey meal
Customer Reviews: While some dogs don’t like it, most dogs positively love this food and are thriving on it.
Final Verdict: This is an excellent grain-inclusive formula that most Frenchies will enjoy.
This simple grain-free recipe has just 9 real food ingredients, making Canidae Grain-Free Pure Healthy Weight Real Chicken & Pea Recipe an excellent option for French Bulldogs.
- Made with just 9 real food ingredients
- Includes antioxidants, probiotics, and omega-3 and 6 fatty acids
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, sweet potatoes, peas
Customer Reviews: There were a few complaints about dogs not liking the food or pooping more than usual, but most dogs love the taste and lost or maintained their weight.
Final Verdict: This food is a good choice for French Bulldogs who aren’t allergic to chicken.
For those who are looking for a more affordable grain-free option, Victor Yukon River Salmon & Sweet Potato fits the bill. It’s made in the USA and full of essential fatty acids and amino acids.
- Packed with vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids, and protein
- Premium-quality ingredients like real fish as a primary protein source
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Menhaden fish meal (source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), garbanzo bean, dehydrated salmon
Customer Reviews: The formula has been changed recently to include chicken fat, which can be a problem for dogs who are allergic to chicken. Some dogs also didn’t appreciate the change in flavor that came with the new recipe. However, most dogs experienced a reduction in allergy symptoms after switching to this food and like the taste.
Final Verdict: This is one of the more affordable high-quality grain-free foods out there that would be appropriate for French Bulldogs. As long as yours isn’t allergic to any of the ingredients, they will likely thrive on this food.
Ingredients to Avoid Feeding Your Frenchie
There are some ingredients you should try to avoid when you’re looking at dog foods for your French Bulldog.
- Artificial ingredients
- Allergenic grains like wheat, corn, or soy
- High protein
- Food dyes
- Rendered fat
Potential French Bulldog Health Problems
Sadly, French Bulldogs are not one of the healthiest dog breeds. Here are some of their most common health problems and how they may be affected by food.
- Allergies – Frenchies are highly prone to food allergies and sensitivities. Common food allergens include chicken, beef, eggs, dairy, corn, wheat, and soy.
- Obesity – Since dogs are prone to many of the same obesity-related health conditions as humans, it’s crucial to keep an eye on how much fat and how many calories your Frenchie consumes.
- Brachycephalic syndrome – French Bulldogs and other flat-faced breeds can have trouble breathing. Obesity can make these problems worse.
- Gassiness – Frenchies tend to gulp their food without chewing, which can lead to gassiness. You might try experimenting with different kibble sizes to see if one will encourage your Frenchie to chew more.
- Hip dysplasia
- Intervertebral Disc Disease
- Patellar luxation
The final three health problems all relate to your French Bulldog’s joints. Glucosamine and chondroitin help promote healthy joints and may reduce joint pain.
Final Thoughts on French Bulldog Food
While there is no single food that is best for all French Bulldogs, hopefully, we’ve given you plenty of tools to find one that’s best for yours. You may have to try a few to find one that your dog loves and digests well, but there are plenty of excellent foods on our list that are of good quality. Whether you have a puppy or adult dog, and whether you prefer grain-free or grain-inclusive options, there’s a food for every Frenchie.