Gummy bears, gummy worms, and other tasty treats are beloved by humans, but can dogs eat them too? It’s common for people to want to share their tasty snacks with their furry friends, but in many cases, it’s not a good idea. Before you serve any kind of human food to your dog, it’s important that you do your research first. Some human foods can benefit your dog’s health while others could cause major health concerns.
Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?
No, dogs cannot eat gummy bears. Gummy bears might seem like a delicious dessert for humans, but for dogs, they could cause significant health problems. This is because they’re made with xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener. Xylitol is one of the many human foods that are dangerous to dogs, and it can cause low blood sugar or extreme liver damage.
If your dog has accidentally eaten a gummy bear, try to stay calm. Small amounts of xylitol shouldn’t be too dangerous, so just keep a close eye on your dog’s behaviors. They will most likely vomit after eating it, which is normal for something their stomach doesn’t agree with. However, if your dog shows numerous signs of illness, including excessive vomiting, weakness, difficulties walking, tremors, or seizures, then those could be signs of xylitol poisoning. Take your dog to the vet immediately if these symptoms show. Also, make sure to provide plenty of water for your dog because xylitol can easily make dogs dehydrated.
Can Dogs Eat Other Candy?
Halloween candy is exciting for kids to collect, and dogs will likely be curious about it too. However, you should never serve any kind of candy to your dog on purpose. Not all types of candy are as dangerous as gummy bears, but in general, candy provides numerous risks with no real benefits.
Most candies contain xylitol in them just like gummy bears do. To make matters worse, many also include chocolate, which is known as one of the most toxic foods for dogs to eat. It’s also important to keep dogs away from sour candy and any candy with raisins. Oftentimes, even candy that seems safe could’ve been exposed to these dangerous ingredients when being manufactured. So, it’s important to keep candy out of your dog’s reach at all times.
However, if your dog has somehow gotten a hold of your candy, you need to be extra cautious. Just like with gummy bears, you should keep an eye out for signs of illness or poisoning. Common symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, excessive thirst, and increased urination. If you wait too long to have a vet look at them, you might notice more extreme symptoms, including restlessness, tremors, lethargy, and seizures. Also, if your dog consumed a large amount of candy, don’t wait to get them looked at. The sooner you visit your vet, the sooner you can confirm that your dog is safe.
Gummy Bear Alternatives
Just because dogs can’t eat gummy bears or other candy doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy a tasty treat now and then. Many pet supply stores sell dog treats that look just like human candy, only they’re made with dog-safe ingredients. Some of these treats can even feature dog-friendly frosting or chocolate that looks like the real deal, but is actually just a safe alternative that is free of real chocolate and xylitol.
If you’re not looking to spend a lot of money on dog treats, you can even make your own dog treats from home using safe ingredients. Peanut butter, pumpkin, and coconut are popular ingredients that humans use to make their own tasty dog treats. With safer alternatives, you’ll be able to enjoy your gummy bears with your dogs while they can eat their own healthy dog treats beside you. That way, they won’t feel left out!
Human foods might be tasty to us, but your dogs don’t function the same way we do. Dogs are often more sensitive to unhealthy foods, especially foods with excessive amounts of salt or artificial sugar. So, before you let your dog get a bite of your tasty desserts, always do your research and check the ingredients first. In the event that your dog accidentally gets a hold of something they shouldn’t, keep an eye out for unusual symptoms and call your vet as soon as you can. Of course, we want our dogs to be happy, but their safety always comes first.