Many dog parents wonder the same thing while they’re cooking or walking outside: can dogs eat mushrooms? After all, dogs often snack on plenty of things they shouldn’t. They might sneak a mushroom from you while you’re cooking or they might even try nibbling on a wild one. Similar to any other human food, you should always do your research before allowing your dog to eat something new. Therefore, it’s important to take extra precautions to find out if dogs can eat mushrooms.
Many dog parents choose to feed their dogs special diets with human-grade ingredients, but those diets are only healthy if you choose the right foods. That’s why it’s crucial to know which ingredients are good for your dog and which ones aren’t. Certain mushrooms can be served with fresh diets, but they’re not a very common dog food ingredient.
Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?
Not all mushrooms are the same. When it comes to store-bought mushrooms and wild mushrooms, they don’t have the same nutritional values. So, you should never just assume that all mushrooms are healthy for dogs.
Which Mushrooms are Safe?
In general, store-bought mushrooms are safe for dogs to eat. However, when we cook mushrooms at home, we usually add sauces, oils, and seasoning. This can be a problem for dogs because they shouldn’t have any type of seasoning added to their food, so mushrooms should only be served to them plain.
If you decide to serve plain mushrooms to your dog now and then, you need to be aware of which kinds are safe for them. The following store-bought mushrooms are safe for your dog to eat:
- White Button
Even though these mushrooms are generally safe for dogs, it’s important to note that it’s possible that a dog could have allergies or sensitivities to them. While mushrooms aren’t a common dog allergy, it’s always important to keep an eye out for how your dog reacts. If you notice your dog’s skin swell or become itchy, then that could be an indicator that they have a mushroom allergy.
Which Mushrooms are Toxic?
When you’re walking your dog, it’s common for them to try to eat things they shouldn’t. Wild mushrooms are no different. While it is perfectly safe for your dog to consume any of the above store-bought mushrooms, you should avoid letting them snack on a mushroom they find outside.
Not every mushroom you find outside will be toxic, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. There’s a common misconception that dogs will avoid something toxic because it smells different, but many dogs don’t have that much self-control. Therefore, you should stop them from eating anything they find outside.
Here is a list of mushrooms that are toxic to your dog:
- Amanita phalloides, also known as “death cap”
- Galerina marginata, also known as “deadly Galerina”
- Amanita gemmata, also known as “jeweled death cap”
- Amanita muscaria, also known as “fly agaric”
- Gyromitra species, also known as “false morel”
- Clitocybe dealbata, also known as “ivory funnel”
- Inocybe species
Mushroom Health Benefits for Dogs
If you serve your dog safe, plain mushrooms, then they can actually have some health benefits for your dog. They have some beneficial ingredients such as vitamins, including vitamin B, vitamin D, and folic acids. Additionally, they have protein in their amino acids and minerals such as copper, sulfur, potassium, phosphorus, and sodium.
These ingredients can have numerous health benefits for your dog, such as:
- Improving the function of your dog’s liver and kidney
- Enhancing their metabolism and blood sugar
- Reducing their weight and lowering cholesterol
- Preventing viruses and infections
- Providing antioxidents and immunomodulators
What Happens if a Dog Eats a Wild Mushroom?
If your dog eats a wild mushroom, it’s possible that it could be toxic. Sometimes our dogs eat weird things when our backs are turned, so even good dog parents might have to deal with this at some point in time. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to help a dog that has eaten a toxic mushroom.
Symptoms of Poisoning
The symptoms your dog gets when they eat a toxic mushroom will differ based on the type of mushroom they ingest. However, there are few common symptoms you might notice.
Here are some symptoms of poisoning from mushrooms:
- Frequent urinating
- Excessive tears
- Abdominal Pain
In extreme cases, eating something toxic could even result in death. It sounds scary, but if you take necessary actions right away, your dog should be fine. This means that you should take your dog to the vet as soon as possible if you notice one or more of the above symptoms.
What to Do if Your Dog Eats a Wild Mushroom
Taking your dog to the vet after they eat a mushroom is the best way to keep them safe. There are a lot of different actions a vet can take to treat mushroom poisoning. The sooner you visit the vet, the less pain your dog will be in. If you are able to bring in a sample of the mushroom your dog ate, that will make it easier for the vets to find a solution. It’s best to transport the mushroom sample in a damp towel or in a paper bag.
At the vet, they can monitor your dog’s blood circulation, use IV fluids, or give your dog medicine for their liver. If your dog ate the mushroom recently, they might also find a way to induce vomiting to get it out of their system. In extreme cases, vets might need to perform more extensive care on your dog, which is another reason why you should hurry to a vet after the incident.
To help avoid anything bad from happening, it’s important to closely monitor what your dog eats. If you’re unsure whether or not a human food is safe for your dog, then you should research it before letting them taste it. For mushrooms, always avoid wild mushrooms and only serve store-bought mushrooms after careful consideration. Human foods can be good for dogs, but only if you are responsible about which ones you serve them.