If you have a Pomeranian puppy, you want to start them off with the right nutrition to help them grow healthy and strong. But there are so many different puppy foods out there – how can you know which ones are the best? That’s why we’ve created this list, so you can pick the right food to help your Pomeranian puppy live a long, healthy life.
Things to Consider When Buying Pomeranian Puppy Food
There are a few things you should keep in mind as you look at Pomeranian puppy food.
- Protein content: Since Pomeranian puppies can’t eat much in one sitting, they need food with relatively high protein content. Look for food with 25%-30% protein. Unless your pup is extraordinarily active, they don’t need food with more than 30% protein.
- Kibble size: Pomeranian puppies have itty bitty mouths and may struggle with large kibble pieces.
- Protein source: High-quality animal protein should be the first ingredient. Whole meat is better than meat meal, and you want to avoid animal by-products.
- Probiotics: Probiotics help with digestion and may help reduce stomach upset in your Pomeranian puppy.
- Micronutrients: Puppies need more than just the basic vitamins and minerals. They need DHA and ARA along with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Allergen ingredients: Not all dogs struggle with food allergies, but if your Pomeranian puppy seems always to be itchy or have loose stool, you may want to avoid the most common dog food allergens: chicken, beef, dairy, eggs, corn, wheat, and soy.
The 10 Best Pomeranian Puppy Foods
When it comes to grain-inclusive small breed puppy foods, it’s hard to beat Wellness Small Breed Complete Health Puppy Turkey, Oatmeal, and Salmon Meal. It’s made in the USA, includes antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, and contains a natural source of DHA, which is crucial for brain development in puppies.
- Salmon meal is a natural source of DHA, which is crucial for brain development
- Smaller kibble size, made with turkey, oatmeal, and salmon
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned turkey, chicken meal, oatmeal, salmon meal, ground barley
Calorie Content: 480 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: As with any food, some puppies didn’t like the taste. Most puppies, however, love this food enough that owners report using it as a treat.
Final Verdict: As long as your puppy isn’t allergic to chicken or grains, this is an excellent choice for Pomeranian puppy food.
When it comes to grain-free puppy food, Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula is a great choice. It’s made in the USA with ingredients from trusted sustainable sources and includes probiotics for digestibility.
- Made with ingredients from trusted sustainable sources with no corn, wheat, grain, filler, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Includes probiotics for improved digestibility
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Buffalo, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, egg product, pea protein
Calorie Content: 370 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: This food does seem to have some quality control issues, with puppies getting sick or losing interest in a new bag when they had been fine previously. Mostly, though, even picky pups love this food.
Final Verdict: If you’re looking for a grain-free food for your Pomeranian puppy, this is a good option. It does have chicken fat as an ingredient, though, so it’s not ideal for puppies who are allergic to chicken.
Grain-free diets can be expensive. If you’re on a budget and want a grain-free food for your Pomeranian puppy, you should look at Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Puppy Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Pumpkin Recipe. Real chicken is the first ingredient, and it contains no corn, wheat, or artificial flavors or colors.
- Sweet potatoes and pumpkin are grain-free sources of carbs that provide sustained energy
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Contains no corn, wheat, or artificial colors and flavors
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, garbanzo beans, peas, pea starch
Calorie Content: 350 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: Some dogs weren’t fond of this flavor, but most puppies liked it and thrived.
Final Verdict: There are higher-quality grain-free puppy foods on the market, but not at this price point. For its price, it’s an excellent choice.
Diamond Natural Small Breed Puppy Formula is a grain-inclusive formula that includes cage-free chicken, probiotics, and DHA, and it’s made in the USA.
- Cage-free chicken is the first ingredient
- Made with a proprietary probiotic blend to help support digestive health, while natural DHA supports vision and brain health
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), cracked pearled barley
Calorie Content: 419 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: Like any food, the bulk of the complaints were about picky pups not liking it. Most puppies love this food and do well on it.
Final Verdict: This is an excellent choice for a grain-inclusive Pomeranian Puppy Food.
#5 – Solid Gold Mighty Mini Toy & Small Breed Gut Health Chicken, Chickpea & Pumpkin Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
If you don’t want to have to transition your Pomeranian from puppy to adult food, you may be interested in this all life stages food: Solid Gold Mighty Mini Toy and Small Breed Gut Health. It was designed specifically for small dogs like Pomeranians and contains 20 nutrient-rich superfoods.
- Contains 20 nutrient-rich superfoods like pumpkin, carrots, cranberries, broccoli, blueberries, almond oil, kelp, and lentils
- Specially crafted for toy and small breed dogs
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, chickpeas, peas, pea protein
Calorie Content: 450 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: The only complaints were from a handful of dogs who didn’t like the taste. Overall, dogs of all ages love this food, and their health improved after switching.
Final Verdict: This is an excellent all life stages food that your Pomeranian Puppy can eat for the rest of their life if they like it.
If organic ingredients are important to you, you’ll love Castor & Pollux Organix Grain-Free Organic Puppy Recipe. Not only does it contain mostly organic ingredients, but it’s cooked in USDA-accredited organically certified USA kitchens.
- Includes a special blend of nutrition-boosting superfoods including blueberries, flaxseeds, and coconut oil
- Made with organic, free-range chicken plus organic peas, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas
- Cooked in USDA-accredited organically certified USA kitchens, with no corn, soy, fertilizers, chemicals, hormones, antibiotics, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
First 5 Ingredients: Organic chicken, organic chicken meal, organic sweet potatoes, organic chickpeas, organic peas
Calorie Content: 362 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: As with any food, not all puppies liked it. However, most puppies enjoy and thrive on this food.
Final Verdict: This is arguably the best organic kibble you can get for your Pomeranian puppy.
With vitamin-packed LifeSource Bits, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Small Breed Puppy Chicken and Oatmeal Recipe is a good grain-inclusive formula for Pomeranian puppies. It includes DHA and ARA, which are crucial for healthy eye and brain development as well as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
- DHA and ARA for healthy eye and brain development and high-quality protein for healthy muscle growth
- No wheat, corn, soy, or chicken (or poultry) by-product meals
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, barley, menhaden fish meal (source of omega-3 fatty acids)
Calorie Content: 415 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: Along with the usual complaints of some pups not liking it, some experienced digestive upset after switching, and there seem to be some quality control issues. However, most puppies like it and are healthy.
Final Verdict: This is a good choice for a grain-inclusive Pomeranian puppy food.
#8 – CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Petite Salmon Formula Small Breed Puppy Limited Ingredient Diet Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Dry Dog Food
If you want a high-calorie food that packs a lot of nutrition into a smaller amount of kibble, you need to check out Canidae Grain-Free Pure Petite Salmon Formula Small Breed Puppy Limited Ingredient Freeze-Dried Raw Coated food. It packs 525 kcal per cup, which is perfect for tiny Pomeranians who can’t eat much at once.
- Crafted with HealthPLUS Solutions—a trio of antioxidants, probiotics, and omega fatty acids added after cooking to support a healthy immune system, healthy digestion, and healthy skin and lustrous coat
- Raw coated with freeze-dried raw salmon
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Salmon, salmon meal, lentils, peas, tapioca
Calorie Content: 525 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: This food is relatively new and doesn’t have a ton of reviews yet. There are a few reports of puppies who didn’t like it, but most pups love it and show signs of healthy like shiny coats.
Final Verdict: This food looks great on paper, but without a lot of reviews, it’s hard to know for sure how good this food truly is.
For an affordable grain-inclusive puppy food, check out American Journey Active Life Formula Puppy Chicken, Brown Rice, and Vegetables Recipe. It has the ideal balance of calcium and phosphorous, along with DHA and ARA to help your puppy develop properly.
- Contains DHA and ARA for healthy eyes and brains
- Precise balance of calcium and phosphorus helps support proper bone development
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned chicken, chicken meal (a source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate), turkey meal, brown rice, peas
Calorie Content: 365 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: Like any food, some puppies didn’t like it. However, most dogs love this food, and several people reported improvements in their puppy’s digestion after switching to this food.
Final Verdict: This food is a decent budget option for Pomeranian puppies.
For high-quality ingredients and real deboned chicken as the first ingredient, check out Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Real Chicken and Sweet Potato Puppy food. It has high levels of fatty acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin and is made in the USA.
- High levels of omega fatty acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin
- Real deboned chicken is the first ingredient
- Made in the USA
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned chicken, chicken meal, potatoes, peas, sweet potatoes
Calorie Content: 397 kcal/cup
Customer Reviews: Some puppies didn’t like this food, either at first or after a few weeks. However, most dogs, including several who only nibble on previous foods, loved it.
Final Verdict: This is a good grain-free option for your Pomeranian puppy, as long as they like the taste.
Pomeranian Nutritional Needs
Being so small, Pomeranians have unique nutritional needs.
- Controlled calories: Each dog food has a different amount of calories, so you need to adjust how much you feed your Pomeranian. The higher amount of calories per cup, the lower amount of food you’ll need to feed. Pomeranians are prone to obesity, so you shouldn’t let them free feed.
- Small, regular meals: Small dogs breeds like Pomeranians have a fast metabolism, so you can’t just feed them a single meal each day. As an adult, your Pomeranian can get by on two meals per day, but puppies need to eat up to four times per day.
- Antioxidants: Free radicals cause damage to your dog’s body as they age. Antioxidants from foods like berries and broccoli help fight free radicals.
Ingredients to Avoid Feeding Your Pomeranian Puppy
Here are some things you don’t want to find in your Pomeranian puppy’s food:
- Excessive carbs: High amounts of carbohydrates can lead to obesity, so make sure your Pomeranian puppy’s food doesn’t have too many carbs.
- Poor quality protein: Some foods get most of their protein from chickpeas, garbanzo beans, or peas. However, dogs thrive on meat, so their food should have a high-quality animal protein as the first ingredient.
- Artificial additives: Artificial ingredients are unnecessary and may be harmful. Avoid foods that contain artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Fillers: Many dog food companies use cheap filler ingredients that have no nutritional value. Avoid filler ingredients like oat groats, powdered cellulose, and animal by-product meal.
Final Thoughts on Pomeranian Puppy Food
We’ve provided you with lots of great options to feed your Pomeranian puppy and information on how to find the best one for your pup. Hopefully, your dog will love one of these foods and grow to be strong, healthy, and happy. Pomeranians are joyful pets that can live into their teens, and good nutrition helps them live long lives with fewer health problems.